Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Testing, testing, testing. . . .

So today is day 6 of Luke's arrival in this world and the doctor's still aren't positive what his diagnosis is. His initial bone marrow testing shows no neuroblastoma, which is a great sign. Tomorrow (Wednesday) at about 9 AM the surgeon is going to do a liver biopsy on Luke to see if that will give everyone an idea about what is going on. At that time the surgeon will most like remove the cystic adrenal gland.

The surgery is a little tough because a newborn's liver has the consistency of Jell-O (liver flavored Jell-O, of course =) and therefore has a tendency to bleed, but the lead doctor thinks that everything will be fine. In fact, if this is neuroblastoma, as he expects, we could potentially be bringing Luke home with us this weekend with no treatment necessary! Apparently neuroblastoma in newborns most often resolves itself without any intervention. As the body grows and develops this particular form of cancer often slowly disappears. An alternate course of action would be some very light drugs to take care of the cancer, but drugs that have no side effect for infants. So right now chances are that we would get to bring our son home soon and not have to take any drastic measures to take care of him!

This is all speculation, of course, as we wait for more detailed results from the liver biopsy. We should know more by Thursday, and have very detailed information after the lab result come back the middle of next week. Please keep Luke in your thought and prayers as he moves into his surgery tomorrow (Wed.) morning.

So today Luke received his first full bath and he did great. He was a little concerned at first, but then he relaxed and did just fine. We were able to wash off all that icky hospital glue that had formed on his little legs and hands. We also used some baby lotion to help smooth out his dry hospital skin. He is still eating like a champ and sleeping like a baby.

Please keep Luke in your prayers as we move forward. All of your support and love has been incredibly helpful during this week. Jessica and I are incredibly blessed to have such wonderful family and friends; your concern has really helped us emotionally and mentally deal with the ups and downs of our first child. Your support for Luke has also helped him do well through all these tests! Thank you!!!!

Hopefully we'll all three be home soon!!!

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thanks so much for the update. You three have been in my thoughts and prayers all week, and I'll be sending all the positive vibes I can to you tomorrow!

Hopefully you will finally have some answers tomorrow, and hopefully you will be able to bring Luke home soon!

It's hard to believe that one little baby can be loved by so many people as much as Luke is already :-)

Love,
Becky

Amy Robinson-Gerace said...

Now this is what I like to hear... maybe home by the weekend!! Wouldn't that be fantastic!!! You have no idea how hard I'm crossing my fingers for you Luke! I can't wait to hear you screaming on the other end of the phone while your mom is trying to chat with me from home. The big question is how does Gordon feel about all of this attention you're getting? Do they let stuffed animals in the NICU?

Congrats on the bath! One 'first' down... several more to go!

Thanks again Joe for keeping the updates coming!

Lots of love to you!

amy

Jessica Crozier said...

I'm so happy to hear the bone marrow is clean! What a relief! Our thoughts and prayers are with you tomorrow morning when Luke gets his biopsy. These little ones are SO resilient...he's going to pull right through like the champ he is! My fingers are crossed for Luke to be home this weekend!
Big hugs,
Jessica

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Kids are amazing. They heal so much faster then us old people:) Hang in there. We fall in love with these little beings when they are in our bellies and the love for them just continues to grow with each day. Some day when Luke is tearing your house apart you will think of those days when he was safetly and quitely nestled in his little incubator:)

Anonymous said...

Jess, Joe and Luke,

The Mogalian's have been praying since we heard of Luke's arrival and will continue to do so. Just remember that the Lord has a plan. We just have to be patient enough to know what it is. Can't wait for you to be able to go home and for Luke's Grandma to show me some pictures. We can't meet to meet your little miracle.

We love you,
Kathi, Marty, Drew ( Kristi and Rylee and baby #2 too!) and Erik (and Ryan)

Anonymous said...

I tried to leave a comment yesterday but am blog challenged apparently. :) I was trying to tell you how MUCH I really think everything is going to be okay. I also was trying to tell you some trivia about the name Little Luke... Richard Crenna played "Luke" a character on "The Real McCoys" a dumb sitcom when I was a kid...Walter Brennan was "Grandpa" - anyway Little Luke was the third generation... just a piece of trivia from the past.

Now that I have you riveted to your seats, let me just say once again that I am sending you a plethora of excellent vibes and good thoughts... Much love for everyone. Mollie

amanda m said...

My heart floods every time you update us.

Not to mention a very big flood when I saw Luke on film. Only a Flowers could make puking adorable. ;)

Still thinking of all three of you, even while sitting in my Finite Math class.

Anonymous said...

They aren't supposed to keep you up nights worrying until the teenage years!! You are all in my thoughts and prayers. He is a beautiful boy and I'm sure all will be well.

Laura

Anonymous said...

Hey there Flowers family!!! Such great news!!I know that you can feel our prayers for your family and we are consumed with joy at the fact that you may be able to bring your precious baby boy home this weekend. Please know that we are praying continually for you all!!!! (That includes all of the extended family as well).

The Cobley Family

Anonymous said...

Very much appreciate the careful reporting and detail on Luke's progress.
Helps me focus and beam my extremely positive vibes toward you three--with a superburst Wednesday.
Love, Marcia, with Gr.Unk.Dave, in FL.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...the blog is making its way through cyber space. Jessica, I am Caitlin Finnerty's mom from Encore. I just heard about your birth and this journey you are on. Peace be with you and your husband and newborn son. It sounds as though you are in good hands with well trained doctors. I wish you Godspeed in his recovery. We will all keep you, your son and your family in our prayers. Try to get some rest.
Peace and Blessings, Lori Finnerty and Family