Friday, April 4, 2008

Respect to the mommies! (and daddies!!!)

I fancy myself a hard working person. I have often worked multiple jobs at once, I have worked in the theatre for 12-15 hours a day, I have survived a college lifestyle on lots of booze and little to no sleep, but none of those experiences prepared me for the experience I have had being home with Luke this week. Over the past 5 nights I have slept 20 hours cumulatively (that's about 4 hours a night for you calculator people). I have cleaned urine off of almost every surface in my house, I have cleaned spit up off of almost every surface on my body, I have sung every song I have ever known, I have swayed and rocked, and cried and laughed and kissed my new baby more times than I can count. And I am exhausted!

So I say: To all of my friends and family who are parents - I salute you. This is the hardest job I have ever had, and the most important. People told me this, they warned me, but you can not understand until you experience it for yourself. I now understand the true value of a nap, a shower, an hour alone, a visit from a friend, a supportive and loving network of people to depend on because really, it DOES take a village to raise a child. And for those of you who are doing this WITHOUT the help of family and friends you are so brave and strong.

But for all of the sleepless nights, lack of sex, bodily fluids and bloodcurdling screams, the moment he falls asleep on my chest as breathes a tiny sigh as I'm singing Under the Sea in a weak Caribbean accent and dancing the cha-cha for the 90th time makes it all worth it. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess and Joe,
Welcome to parenthood! Hang on tight it's going to be a bumpy ride:) People would always ask us if it gets easier. During that first year we would say not easier just different. We would get use to one thing and then something else would start up. Teething, crawling, new foods oh my! I pride myself on not letting Brady have a french fry until he was way past 20 months. Now I will give him an entire plate if it means he will give me 20 minutes at lunch to talk to a friend. Gone are the days of him screaming for me in his crib and we are now entering terrible two's even though he is almost 3. I guess he got a late start. His new thing of late is to tell me " Mommy,you're driving me bananas." Wonder were he got that from, must be Daddy:) It's all worth it and no matter what age, they still look like angels when they sleep.
Love,
Bianca

Anonymous said...

Too hilarious!!! You had me laughing to myself and agreeing with it all! And yes, no matter what the age, they always do look like angels when they are sleeping.

Every stage is an adventure that you will never be totally prepared for. There is some new experience and parental responsibility around every corner. Wait until you have to have the 'birds and the bees' talk! That was an experience that we didn't really expect to have to go through with a 7 year-old. We thought that we had a little more time before that awkward discussion. We'll have to tell you later about the personal questions she asked us. All of the questions that I was dreading she would ask us!

But, even though there are times that we wish we could go back to just cuddling our innocent little babies again, we love watching and helping the girls discover the world around them every day. It really is neat to rediscover the world through a child's eyes.

Welcome to the club! It is sooooo worth it:)

Jessica & Jim