Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Work/Life Balance

Dear Luke,

You asked me tonight why I’ve been working so much lately.  “Because of camp”, I said.  “Because it’s my busy season and right now running camp is part of my job.”  It rips my heart out when you ask those questions.  Because I would LOVE to spend my summers with you and Dad and Ben, but also because part of me knows that I the time I spend away from my family  each summer is just as meaningful to me (and ultimately to my family) as the time I spend with them.   What I didn’t say when you asked me that tonight Luke, is that being at camp fills me up.  It makes me grateful for all that I have and also restores my faith in humanity.  It makes me believe that no one is broken and there is light and love in every human being that rises to the top when they are given and chance to succeed and are surrounded by people that believe that they can.   I didn’t say to you, Luke, that being at camp makes me a better person and a better parent to you, as I learn from all of the counselors, volunteers and artists whom I work alongside things like how to be present and authentic and how to lead.  I didn’t tell you Luke, how lucky you are, and that my not being at home means I get to provide an opportunity for kids who are so like you, yet so different for you to shine in the way you shine every day.  I love you Luke.  And it’s because of that love for you that I’m able to go to work every day and know that my making a difference for these kids will someday make a difference for you when you see and understand the impact that bringing together a group of people to share an experience can have on a single life, a community and the world.  So know Luke when, I’m gone long days and work late nights while you swim and play and go to your own fantastic camps, I’m always thinking of you and how excited I am to include you in this amazing work I get to do someday.  Thanks for understanding for now.  And when I get home tonight, let’s make sure we do an art project together ok?  It’ll make us both feel better.

Much love,


Mom

No comments: